This three-day instructor-led course is aimed at database professionals who manage Business Intelligence (BI) operations. This course looks at various options that provide the ability of business users to analyze data and share their findings, starting with managed BI data sources and expanding to personal and external/public data sources.
- The primary audience for this course are business intelligence professionals.
- The secondary audiences for this course are technically proficient business users.
In addition to their professional experience, students who attend this training should already have the following technical knowledge:
- Some basic knowledge of data warehouse schema topology (including star and snowflake schemas)
- Some exposure to basic programming constructs (such as looping and branching)
- An awareness of key business priorities such as revenue, profitability, and financial accounting is desirable.
- Familiarity with SharePoint Server and Microsoft Office applications – particularly Excel
- Describe key features of a self-service BI solution
- Describe the key capabilities of SQL Server BI in a SharePoint environment
- Describe common Analysis Services operational tasks
- Describe PowerPivot for SharePoint server
- Describe Power Query
- Describe Windows Azure HDInsight
- Introduction to Microsoft SQL Server BI Solution
- SQL Server BI Features with Microsoft SharePoint
- Operating Analysis Services
- Supporting Analysis Services
- Operate and Support Reporting services
- Share PowerPivot Workbooks in SharePoint Server
- Operate and Support Power BI
Module 1: Introduction to Microsoft SQL Server BI Solution
This module introduces key features of a self-service BI solution.
- Overview of self-service BI
- Considerations of self-service BI
- Microsoft tools for self-service BI
Lab : Exploring an enterprise BI solution
Module 2: SQL Server BI Features with Microsoft SharePoint
This module describes the key capabilities of SQL Server BI in a SharePoint environment.
- Capabilities of Power BI with SharePoint
- SharePoint with analysis services
- SharePoint with reporting services
- Deploying SQL server BI in a SharePoint environment
Lab : Design a SQL Server BI infrastructure
Module 3: Operating Analysis Services
This module describes common analysis services operational tasks.
- Configuring an analysis services server
- Tuning an analysis services server
- Analysis services security
- Analysis services high availability and disaster recovery
Lab : Configuring analysis services
Module 4: Supporting Analysis Services
This module introduces PowerPivot for SharePoint server.
- Testing analysis services cubes
- Tuning analysis services
- Maintaining analysis services
Lab : Supporting Analysis Services
Module 5: Operate and Support Reporting services
This module introduces users to Power Query. They will use this more in subsequent modules.
- Installing a native mode report server
- Installing reporting services with SharePoint
- Reporting services with Microsoft Azure virtual machines
- Reporting services errors
Lab : Installing reporting services
Module 6: Share PowerPivot Workbooks in SharePoint Server
This module introduces PowerPivot for SharePoint.
- PowerPivot for SharePoint
- Install and configure PowerPivot for SharePoint
Lab : Install PowerPivot for SharePoint
Module 7: Operate and Support Power BI
This module introduces Windows Azure HDInsight.
- Power BI desktop
- Mobile Power BI
Lab : Using Power BI