Overview of the Windows 8 Platform and Windows Store Apps This module provides an overview of the Windows 8 platform and Windows Store apps in particular.
- Lessons Introduction to the Windows 8 Platform Windows 8 UI Principles WinRT and Language Projections
- Lab : Overview of the Windows 8 Platform and Windows Store Apps Explore the Windows 8 Platform Explore a Windows Store App
Creating User Interfaces using XAML This module explains how to create the User Interface by using XAML, and how to style a simple Windows Store app by using Visual Studio and Blend.
- Lessons XAML Basics XAML Code-Behind Advanced XAML
- Lab : Creating User Interfaces by using XAML Creating the User Interface by using Visual Studio 2012 Enhancing the UI by using Visual Studio 2012
Presenting Data This module explains how to present data in the user interface using data binding.
- Lessons Working with Data Presentation Controls The GridView Control
- Lab : Presenting Data
Implementing Layout Using Windows 8 Built-In Controls This module describes and explores the main building blocks used for laying out content when you develop a Windows Store app.
- Lessons WinRT Controls AppBar Control Snapped and Fill Views
- Lab : Implementing Layout by Using Built-In Controls in Windows 8 Implement an AppBar Control Create Adaptive Views
Handling Files in Windows Store Apps This module explains how to handle files and streams.
- Lessons Handling Files and Streams in Windows Store Apps Working with File User Interface Components
- Lab : Handling Files in Windows Store Apps Using the File API to Read and Write Data from the Notes Files. Adding Photos to a Note by using File Picker
Windows Store App Process Lifetime Management This module describes how to respond to application lifecycle events using Process Lifetime Management and the PLM extensibility points provided by the Visual Studio 2012 templates.
- Lessons Process Lifetime Management Windows Store App Activation and Background Tasks Implementing a State Management Strategy
- Lab : Windows Store App Process Lifetime Management Exploring the Different PLM States Implementing State Management
Working with Resources, Styles, and Templates This module explains how to use templates when creating the user interface.
- Lessons Creating Shared Resources Creating Styles and Templates
- Lab : Working with Styles and Templates Create a Control Style and Template
Designing and Implementing Navigation in a Windows Store App This module explains how to handle navigation scenarios in a Windows Store app and implement Semantic Zoom.
- Lessons Handling Navigation in Windows Store Apps Semantic Zoom
- Lab : Designing and Implementing Navigation in a Windows Store App Adding Navigation to the App Implementing Semantic Zoom
Implementing Windows 8 Contracts This module explains how to design and implement Windows 8 contracts such as Search, Share and Settings.
- Lessons Designing for Charms and Contracts The Search Contract The Share Contract Managing App Settings
- Lab : Implementing Windows 8 Contracts Implementing the Search Contract Implementing the Share Contract Adding a New Setting to the Settings Pane
Implementing Tiles and User Notifications This module explains how to implement tiles and toast notifications in a Windows Store app
- Lessons Implementing Tiles, Live Tiles, Secondary Tiles and Badge Notifications Implementing Toast Notifications
- Lab : Implementing Tiles and User Notifications Enabling Live Tile Functionality on the Main Tile Adding Secondary Tiles Functionality Adding Scheduled Toast Notifications for ToDo Notes
Designing and Implementing a Data Access Strategy This module explains how to implement various data access scenarios for Windows Store apps.
- Lessons Evaluating Data Access Strategies Working with Remote Data
Responding to Mouse and Touch This module explains how to respond to mouse, keyboard and touch events, including gestures.
- Lessons Working with Pointer Events Working with Gesture Events
- Lab : Responding to Mouse and Touch Implementing Mouse Events Implementing Gesture Events
Planning for Windows Store App Deployment This module explains how to deploy their Windows Store apps to the Windows Store or an enterprise store.
- Lessons The Windows Store App Manifest Windows Store App Certification